There are more than 180,000 children in southeastern Pennsylvania who live in families with incomes at or below the federal poverty level- $23,550 a year for a family of four. The parents of most of these children work, but low wages and an unstable job market makes it difficult for families to make ends meet. PCCY works to help lift families out of poverty by pushing for increased investment and access to services for families such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit. These valuable resources help tens of thousands of children in southeastern Pennsylvania rise out of poverty every year.
PCCY found more than 53,000 children in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties live in poverty. Click on the links below for a brief summary across all four counties and the full reports.
- Bucks County – Nearly 9,000 children in Bucks County live in poverty, a third of these children live below half of the poverty line.
- Chester County – In Chester County, child poverty increased 55% since 2008.
- Delaware County – 21,000 children in Delaware County live in poverty. Children are more likely to be in poverty than any other age group.
- Montgomery County – The share of Montgomery County children living in low-income families increased 17% since 2008.
The EITC is the nation’s most effective program to lift working families out of poverty. It is designed to “make work pay” by supplementing the earnings of workers with low household incomes. The CTC helps families make ends meet by both rewarding work and recognizing the additional expenses of raising children.
Each of these critically important programs help individual families make ends meet and power the local economy. Together, these credits lifted an estimated 116,000 Pennsylvania children out of poverty annually from 2009-2011. PCCY provides analysis on the reach of these credits in Pennsylvania, and advocated to keep them strong. Below are fact sheets for the state of Pennsylvania, as well as districts one, two, six, seven, eight and thirteen.
- Download EITC-CTC Statewide Fact Sheet
- EITC-CTC District 1 Fact Sheet
- EITC-CTC District 2 Fact Sheet
- EITC-CTC Distrct 6 Fact Sheet
- EITC-CTC Distrct 7 Fact Sheet
- EITC-CTC Distrct 8 Fact Sheet
- EAITC-CTC District 13 Fact Sheet