If you are considering a new car purchase or are just ready to get rid of your old car – have we got a great opportunity for you to take away the hassle of trading it in or selling it yourself and supporting PCCY at the same time! One phone call to 1-877-537-5277 or email to the PCCY’s Vehicle Donation Program is all it takes.
Here are the Details:
Just send us your contact information via our car donation form, or call 1-877-537-5277 at your convenience to speak to someone who will schedule a pickup that’s convenient for you, and provide you with confirmation of your donation.
If the gross proceeds from the sale of your donated vehicle are $500 or more and if you provide your social security number to our Representative at the time of your donation, you will also receive an IRS tax form 1098C stating the sale price of the vehicle. This amount is what you actually claim on the itemized tax return.
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are the benefits of donating my car to PCCY? PCCY benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events. You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
- Does my car have to be running to donate it? In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Call 1-877-537-5277 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.
- Do you only accept cars for donation? Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact PCCY at 1-877-537-5277
- How long will it take to pick up my vehicle? We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days. Call 1-877-537-5277.
- Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up? No. Special arrangements can be made by calling 1-877-537-5277.
- What paperwork do I need? The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title (referred to as a “pink slip” in California only). Have your title with you when you call-in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien].
- Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car? For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.
- What if I receive legal notices? In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV actions or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please call 1-877-537-5277 immediately for assistance.
- How does the new law effect my tax deduction? Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.
- Will I get a tax receipt for my donation? Yes, our driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.
- What can I claim as a deduction? According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. An IRS Form 1098-C, “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.
- How is the value determined on the vehicle donated? The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.
- Does the new law affect PCCY? PCCY has additional paperwork in reporting the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the vehicle to the donor and IRS. The process of obtaining the cash donation from the vehicle remains the same.
- What if my car is valued over $5,000? Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle Account.
Call 1-877-537-5277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at your convenience and donate your vehicle today!