Ready. Engaged. Able. Determined.
This citywide effort led by the Free Library of Philadelphia and supported by fifty organizations, public and private, large and small, aims to boost the share of students entering 4th grade, reading at grade level by 2020.
National research indicates that to boost the share of students ready for 4th grade, public policy, resources and organizational activities must address the following five challenges:
- Improve the quality of early learning and child care programs
- Give parents training and tools to help their child develop strong reading skills
- Ensure that students continue to read over the summer break to mitigate reading skill loss
- Address child health and other factors contributing to school absenteeism
- Implement research-proven reading practices in schools in ways that ensure that instruction is individualized and promotes reading progression throughout the school year
In line with this national research, the 50 supporting organizations have agreed to focus on one or more of the five key components of early literacy work.