What is the Block By Block Party?
The Block By Block Party is a gaming event for fans of Minecraft (ages 17 and under) of all skill levels, even beginners! The Block Party will support bringing hi-tech educational tools to Philadelphia public schools and raise funds for the most trusted advocacy organization for kids, Public Citizens for Children and Youth.
When is it?
There are two sessions on Saturday, September 16, and one session on Sunday, September 17. When you buy your ticket, you get to choose which session works best for you and your friends. Order your tickets soon before your first choice is sold out!
- Saturday, September 16: 8:30am-1:30pm
- Saturday, September 16: 1:30pm-7:00pm
- Sunday, September 17: 12:30pm-6:00pm
Where is it?
The Block By Block Party will be held on the campus of The University of The Sciences, 4300 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (West Philly). There is free parking on the campus and free and metered street parking in the area.
What is Minecraft?
If you’re unfamiliar with Minecraft, all you need to know is that it’s a game that encourages creative thinking, exploration and collaborative play and has been embraced by educators all over the world as a new tool to engage with their students. How you play Minecraft is entirely up to who is playing, whether you want to build structures or sculptures using cube building blocks or explore the ‘open’ world and embark on adventures alone or with friends.
What can I expect to do there?
There are two parts to the event:
- First, there’s a Minecraft gaming event for fans ages 17 and under. The gaming event will take place across more than a dozen modern classrooms on University of the Sciences beautiful West Philadelphia campus. Gamers can choose to play in any one or all of three Minecraft challenges, each of which will last an hour. Design your dream Free Library or the most creative working farm you can in an hour. Work as a team and create a thriving village or work alone to design a new addition to your local playground using any of Minecraft’s engineering tools. The challenges offered will highlight the best aspects of Minecraft and demonstrate why teachers, engaged parents, and millions of players around the world love this game. We can’t forget the many fun prizes for players of all skill levels.
- Second, while gamers are engaged in this first-of-its-kind fundraising gaming event, other guests (or gamers taking a break) can enjoy a plethora of Minecraft-themed festivities outside or inside the spacious and comfortable facilities. Activities may include arts and craft, Lego build challenges, bouncy castles, lawn games, Minecraft Karaoke, face painting, or check out some amazing vendors for a souvenir or two.
What is Minecraft Karaoke?
If you know a Minecrafter fan, you probably already know YouTube is full of Minecraft videos, including pop songs re-written with Minecraft lyrics. These videos have millions of views and kids love singing them and you will too! You already know the melody…won’t you step up to the microphone and entertain the “mobs” for fame and prizes?
Do I need to bring my own laptop or tablet?
We strongly recommend you bring whichever portable device you usually play Minecraft on. That could be an iPad or Android Tablet for Minecraft Pocket Edition or the full PC version for Windows or Mac. While we’ll have a limited number of tablets and laptops for use, if you bring your device we’ll configure your Minecraft to connect to free online servers that you can enjoy even after the Block By Block Party is over.
How much does the Block Party cost?
- Tickets for gamers 17 and under costs $35, and that includes one free general admission pass for an accompanying adult.
- Non-gaming siblings, friends or additional adults need their own general admission ticket. General admission tickets cost $20.
Will there be food available for purchase?
The University of the Sciences will be offering healthy and affordable vegetarian and non-vegetarian food options during all sessions of the Block By Block Party.
What are we fundraising for?
The money raised will further PCCY’s mission to improve the life chances of children by advocating for adequate funding of public schools, affordable and better access to pre-k for working families, and making sure every child has health care coverage. PCCY is engaging young people from across our region to raise money so that other children can have better opportunities to learn in the science, technology, engineering and math fields. New STEM opportunities are emerging almost on a daily basis and this event will help raise awareness and understanding of those opportunities.
Who is PCCY?
Public Citizens for Children and Youth is a 37 year old nonprofit child advocacy that is dedicated to helping improve the lives and life chances of children, youth and families in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Childhood is fleeting and that there are no do-overs. Our job as parents, neighbors and members of society is to make sure every child has the fundamental building blocks for success including consistent health care, high-quality education from pre-k through high school, proper nutrition, and a dependable support network to help them grown into healthy, able and confident adults.
The tough challenges children face today do not lend themselves to simple solutions. PCCY combines direct service initiatives with comprehensive research and the tools of advocacy to mobilize citizens across the region to change the lives of children for the better. Time and time again, PCCY has demonstrated that we can create positive change for children to address their urgent needs.
Sounds amazing! Can I join the team?
YES!!! We really need volunteers to help make this event a success! If you can spare a few hours on September 16 or 17, please consider signing up!
- Set Up Team
- Tech Loader
- Tech Advisor
- Gaming Leader
- Block Party Crew
- Wrap Up Team
How can I fundraise?
In addition to making sure your friends don’t miss the secure their Block By Block Party tickets, all gamers will be able to manage their own fundraising campaign! Gamers that reach tiered fundraising goals will win fun prizes and recognition for their hard work and dedication.
How can my company help?
Become a partner! Join companies from across the region that are stepping forward to make sure children are eager to be part of emerging STEM opportunities. From health care, to communications, from financial services to logistics and shipping, our children must be prepared to take the helm in STEM professions. Your sponsorship will make this event more exciting, more hands on and make it possible for children who can’t afford the ticket price to participate.
What if I still have more questions?
You can reach us at email@example.com or 215-563-5848, extension 40. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook! @pccyblockparty